Monday, July 13, 2015

Ramblings about Painting

Figures and Abstract
My most recent paintings have included more abstract elements than I have previously included in my paintings. I would either paint realistically, usually from a photo I have taken, or purely abstract, a great way to push paint around and find more interesting colors, patterns, or techniques to use in all my work. I find its also liberating and more fun paintings. As with any creative work everything doesn't work. My trash can is full of mishaps, disasters, and really bad paintings. But fun.

By combining more abstract elements into my paintings and letting go has led to some better paintings. To begin this phase I had to ask myself three questions: 1. Why paint a subject? 2. An exactly what am I trying to accomplish? 3. How?

I have answered these questions quite differently at different times in my life. The big difference has been that for most of my life I have done art because I love to. Early on to please my self, then to please others, then to get paid and pay billos, now back at the beginning just to please myself.

At 86 I just want to have fun and any rewards share or give away. With my current work I am having fun, with color, with abstract techniques, and still learning about the "how" but more importantly I would love to sell everything and donate it 100% to our church's missions in Africa, India, and here in the USA to worthy causes like feeding the hungry and helping the poor.I am so blessed.

Below are my latest paintings. I hope you enjoy and if so moved to help others keep in mind I will be selling all these painting in a show this coming October.







No comments:

Post a Comment